Nikolay Stepanov heads our Taxation practice. He possesses considerable experience in consulting services on issues related to corporate tax, trade taxation, tax planning and tax disputes.
Nikolay has an extensive experience in the area of corporate law. He is also involved in dispute resolution, including court proceedings and enforcement proceedings.
His industry focus is in the oil and gas and financial sectors.
Some examples of transactional experience include:
- Representing the interests of OJSC Rosgazifikatsiya in the matter of recovery of damages from OJSC Gazprom caused by loss of shares of OAO Gazprom.
- Advising CJSC NPO UrengoiGeoResurs on an acquisition of oil and gas assets.
- Advising CJSC Russian Standard Insurance in relation to the development of a Compensation & Benefits Program for its employees.
- Advising on the issues of development of an optimal tax configuration for the sale of assets of oil and gas companies.
- Representing the interests of a Russian oil and gas company in the course of a dispute brought by another major Russian oil and gas company in the right to use the subsoil (production of gas and gas condensate).
- Representing the interests of companies in the course of inspections on subsoil use issues by supervisory authorities (Rosprirodnadzor [Federal Service for Supervision of Natural Resource Usage], Rostekhnadzor [Federal Service of Environmental Technological and Nuclear Supervision], prosecution agencies and agencies of the Interior Ministry, etc.).
- Representing the interests of the owner of an office center in Moscow in the matter of an illegitimate additional assessment of property tax.
- Representing the interests of OJSC Severnaya Neft in respect to the protection of rights for using the subsoil of a major field against unlawful acts of the Ministry of Natural Resources of the Russian Federation and major oil companies (including OJSC NK Lukoil, OJSC Sibneft, OJSC TNK, OJSC Yukos Oil Company).
- Providing legal support to a company at a superior tax authority, resulting in the client’s recovery of VAT in the amount of RUR 350 million.
- Advising Renaissance Insurance Group on the issues of labor law.
Nikolay graduated from the Law Department of the Tver State University in 1996.